QEW Steering Committee Annual Meeting & Gathering
You are invited! QEW's 2013 Steering Committee Annual Meeting & Gathering will be held at the Cenacle Conference & Retreat Center in Chicago, Ill., October 24-October 27, 2013.
Come learn about and discuss climate change in three important areas:
- the impact of population growth on climate change
- national climate change policy and politics, and
- dealing with climate change at the local level
All Friends are invited for some or all of the planned sessions, whether or not you are a member of the Steering Committee. Your input, participation, and seasoning is valued and needed!
Planned speakers include
- National responses to climate change with Jim Cason from Friends Committee on National Legislation and Jim Davis from Kairos Canada
- Local responses to climate change with David Schaad (Vietnam) and Kenyatta James (Philadelphia)
- Friends Roy Treadway, Ken Lawrence, and Dick Grossman will lead a consideration of population's many points of impact on climate change and how we might respond
We will also have the opportunity to participate in worship sharing on this topic and hear from Friends how climate change is affecting everyday life at the local level, and what their communities and monthly and yearly meetings are doing to address it.
Questions? Contact us!
Quaker Earthcare Witness Gathering Agenda—October 24-27, 2013
(Subject to change)
Thursday October 24
1-3 Meeting for Fellowship, Worshipful Preparation
3:15- 4:30 CCC
4:40—5:50 Welcome by the Cenacle, Review the Business and Themed Agendas
intro to/of newcomers
7:10—9:30 Meeting for Worship for Business: Introductions, Stories from YM, MM and your community, Financial/Nominating items to be seasoned
Friday October 25
7:30—8:00 Morning Worship
9:10—10:30 Standing Committee meetings: Finance, Nominating, Publications, Spiritual Nurturance, Outreach, Personnel, Development, SFA
10:45—12:00 Working group and project meetings: Mini-grants, UN, FCNL, Finca la Bella, No Name
12:00 -1:00 Lunch
1:30—3:30 Meeting for Worship for Business
3:30—6:00 Options: 1) free time – walk to the Lake, or …
2) 3:30—4:30 Tutorial on using our new website for committee work
3) 5:00—6:00 Orientation for New Yearly Meeting Representatives
7:10—9:30 “The Impact of Population on Climate Change: Our Response?” Collaborators: Ken Lawrence, Dick Grossman, and Roy Treadway with help from Stan Becker. Following a brief presentation about population's impact on climate change, in worship-sharing we will consider our personal and collective response to growing population.
Saturday October 26
7:30—8:00 Morning worship
9:10—10:30 Working group and project meetings: Mini-grants,UN, FCNL, Finca la Bella
10:45—12:00 Standing Committee meetings: Finance, Nominating, Publications, Spiritual Nurturance, Outreach, Personnel, SFA
1:15—3:15 Meeting for Worship for Business
3:30—5:45 Local Responses to Climate Change: Stories from Green Street Meeting with Kenyatta James and Stories from Vietnam with David Schaad.
7:10—9:30 National Responses to Climate Change: U.S. policy with Jim Cason, FCNL, and Jim Davis from Kairos Canada
Sunday October 27
9:10—11:30 Meeting for Worship for Business
1:00—3:00 independent meeting time