Join the Climate Strike: September 20, 2019
On September 20, three days before the United Nations Climate Summit in New York City, young people and adults will strike all across the United States and world to demand transformative action be taken to address the climate crisis.
As Quaker Earthcare Witness members, we are inviting you to Strike With Us.
This is a special moment and we want you to be a part of it. Young people around the world have been going on strike – every week, all over the planet – for months, like Greta Thunberg from Sweden and 16-year-old Friend Kallan Benson (read about her activism in BeFriending Creation). And for the first time, they are explicitly calling on you - adult allies - to join them. Will you?
Led by a diverse coalition of youth-led and adult-led organizations, including Quaker Earthcare Witness, September 20 is an intergenerational day of striking that will launch an entire week of climate action across the world.
Quaker Earthcare Witness encourages Friends across the United States to mobilize for climate action rooted in our deep faith and tradition.
Ways to participate as individuals:
- STRIKE WITH US! On September 20, 2019, we strike for our future! Find an event nearby.
- If there is not a strike scheduled in your area, register to host a strike.
- Post on your social media using #ClimateStrike and #StrikeWithUs.
Ways to participate with your Quaker community:
- Organize a group from your meeting to strike together.
- Write a minute in support and share it in your community and in the newspaper.
- Ask what it means to be adult allies to the youth leaders and follow-up. See 350.org's "How to stand with young climate strikers" to get started.
- Meet with your elected officials. Visit the Friends Committee on National Legislation's Environment and Energy page for tips.
- Use the strike as a launch-pad for reinvigorating your meeting’s environmental concerns work.
- Spread the word about the strike in your Yearly or Monthly Meeting newsletters.
We'd love to hear what your plans are for the strike. Write us at email@example.com.
Global Climate Strike: https://globalclimatestrike.net/
US Youth Climate Strikes: https://www.youthclimatestrikeus.org/