Friends Moving to 100% Renewable Energy
On October 5, 2014 at Pendle Hill (Wallingford, PA), the Sustainability: Faith and Action Working Group of Quaker Earthcare Witness developed Three Recommendations for Friends Churches and Meetings throughout North America.
The first recommendation includes the following statement:
3) We ask that all Friends' Houses of Worship (which are able to in their locality) shift from non-renewable to renewable electricity suppliers by 2016, that we may serve as models and examples, showing our willingness to welcome the transition to a low carbon world.
All Friends are encouraged to do the same. Your local power company may offer the ability to buy energy from renewable sources. This is also possible through Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs).
By switching to solar, wind or water, many meetings could save funds that could eventually be redirected from utility bills to immediate needs and other projects that further Kingdom work.
We ask local Friends fellowships and Yearly Meetings to prayerfully examine how they may act upon this ask. We encourage Friends to set an example of responsible stewardship of God's Creation as a witness to those outside of our Churches and Meetings.
~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~
This webpage offers you resources to help you on your way. If you would like to work with other Friends across the country on this concern, please contact: email@example.com
Why 100% renewable electricity?
If we want to combat climate change, we need to profoundly change the way we use and generate energy, minimizing our greenhouse gas emissions.
Of the total energy consumed in America, about 40% is used to generate electricity. Unfortunately, most of the electricity in the United States is still generated from fossil fuels like coal. By choosing clean energy such as wind or solar power for our houses of worship and our homes, we indicate which direction our energy policy should be taking and drive demand for more renewable energy.
The difference we can make together
As Friends, we hope to:
- Clean the air we breathe and save thousands of lives
- Power our local grid with domestically produced wind and solar
- Use dramatically fewer fossil fuels
- Create local jobs
- Save millions of gallons of water wasted by oil and gas extraction
- Support the local renewable energy industry
- Lead our states to a goal of 100% renewable energy use by 2050
- Battle global climate change, every day.
What is available in my state?
Voluntary green power purchases drive markets beyond what is required for renewable portfolio standards. The Green Power Network informs utilities, marketers, institutional purchasers and residential purchasers about green power options.
You can discover options for your state here: http://apps3.eere.energy.gov/greenpower/buying/buying_power.shtml
Learn more about what Friends' Churches and Meetings have done.
Send us a photo of your sign proudly displayed or information on your energy work and we will post it. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
You can also right-click and save the graphic below to create a yard sign for your home or meeting: