Support for Earthcare and QEW
Support for earthcare is growing.
Many of us were part of the March for Science, and QEW led the Quaker contingent at the Climate, Jobs, and Justice March in D.C. in April. Polls show that the number of Americans supporting protection from pollution is increasing. Shockingly, however, the U.S. Federal government is attempting to shut down efforts to improve air and water quality, conserve natural ecology, and convert to renewable energy.
Many communities are resisting—this issue reports how Friends were involved in successfully achieving a statewide ban on fracking in Maryland. New York and California (the 14th and 5th largest global economies, respectively) serve as models for climate plans. Localities are choosing wind and solar for their power. We are seeing a growing awareness of our connection to the natural world and finally understanding that our lives depend on it. At the same time, the environment is being threatened as never before.
As Quaker Earthcare Witness, we are called to take faithful action to prevent the most catastrophic effects of climate change and create resilient, Spirit-led communities by working together. We need your help to sustain and strengthen our work. As a member of our network, can you show your support by making a contribution?
How do we build a sustainable and life-enhancing future in these challenging times? Our work this season strives to answer that question. With your help, this summer we will:
- Revise and publish our Earthcare curricula for adults and First Day Schools
- Advocate for environmental justice and a right relationship with the Earth by working in coalitions with allied groups and organizations
- Use our Quaker voice to support indigenous rights and climate justice
- Spread the word about Friends’ witness through our print and online publications
- Amplify Earthcare through inter-visitation at yearly meetings and Friends’ gatherings
- Fund hands-on sustainability projects throughout the world with our mini-grants program
- Lead an Earthcare Coalition of NGOs from the world-wide African diaspora to inform the U.N. High Level Political Forum about food sovereignty, land retention, and access to water.
QEW grew out of a strong leading among Friends that our future depends on a spiritual transformation in our relationships with each other and the natural world. Over the past 30 years, we have grown a solid network of Friends throughout North America and we want to keep growing.
We must meet the challenges we are facing by doubling our efforts. Please consider upping your usual donation so that we can. We are grateful for your support and your commitment. Together, we are making a difference in the world.
Shelley Tanenbaum & Hayley Hathaway
General Secretary Publications Coordinator
To donate to QEW, send a check made out to “Quaker Earthcare Witness” to P.O. Box 6787, Albany, CA, 94706 or donate securely online at quakerearthcare.org/donate
Quaker Earthcare Witness is an IRS 501(c3) non-profit agency.
Your donation is tax deductible as allowed under IRS regulations.